Friday, July 20, 2007

Tokyo - 1 Crab Hat, 2 Crab Hat, Red Fish, Blue Fish

I woke up to the creepy German guy who sleeps across from Pearl hitting on her. He was so obvious in what he wanted, and his lines were hilarious. Stuff like: "You're funny," and when she kept her sheet on like a cape, "Are you going to save the world?" Or my personal favorite, claiming he spoke "three and a half" languages, but quickly amending it to five, because apparently he forgot he speaks Italian and French. Pearl was strong enough to resist his charms, but I was tempted to hit the greaseball in the face.

We wanted sushi for breakfast, but when we couldn't find the sushi place we were looking for (after that, I stopped carrying Lonely Planet entirely), we settled for the first place we found, which had a lot of great tempura.

After that, shopping. This time, however, it was for me. I needed to get a lot of gifts, but more importantly, I had to get these frog hats I've seen all over Japan but haven't been able to find. Eventually I found some hats shaped like crabs made by the same company, so I bought one, settling for my more unique hat. As we were leaving the store, I came up with a brilliant idea: any time anyone is fighting in front of me or acting crabby (get it?!?!?!?!), they have to wear the crab hat. For the two people fighting, though, I would need a second crab hat, and I was much too embarrassed to go back for a second one. So I gave Pearl my debit card and she bought the second (and last) crab hat, laughing hysterically while I peeked around the corner as she paid.

We then went to the Sony Building to check out all their amazing things. But mostly we just sat in several of their high definition lounges and watched high definition home videos of babies with skin rashes and creepy clowns. The place was really cool, though, and we got to try out some stuff that isn't even available for you suckers yet.

Exhausted from all the walking and the madness of Shibuya, we returned to the hostel for a little nap. For the second time that day, I awoke to the now-shirtless German trying and failing to get into Pearl's pants. She was nice enough to try to sneak out to get a cake for possibly my last day in Japan (we'll see about that tomorrow), but couldn't find a cake shop. It was still a nice gesture, though, and she did end up buying me sushi, a crepe, and another small meal later. But mostly because I had run out of cash and Japan hates credit cards.

We went back to Shibuya to see it at night on a Friday, and it didn't disappoint. The neon was overwhelming, and there was an insane amount of people. We ended up getting a little pre-meal at a stand-up sushi place. What you do is you just walk in, stand at the bar, and yell your orders to the chefs, and then pay at the end based on how much and what kinds of fish you had. We were a little confused, but one chef took pity on us and gave us a giant English menu, and he made sure to ask us what we wanted, since we didn't know how to get his attention. It was really fun, and the sushi was pretty good.

Later, we met Ixchell and Kaz for karaoke. Unfortunately, the karaoke place was filled with Japanese businessmen waiting to get in, and we wouldn't have a booth until 11:50, and that was too late due to hostel curfews. So there went my last chance for Japanese karaoke. Instead, we went to an arcade, where we played a Dance Dance Revolution-style drumming game, and marveled at all the ultra-high tech games. There was horse race betting more realistic than the actual race tracks, some weird, giant undersea roulette thing, and this really crazy game where kids move their Magic cards around on this sensitive table that somehow reads the cards and then acts them out on a video screen. It's hard to explain, but it was unreal. Watching the kids who have mastered this stupid game move different cards to fight off approaching armies was a bit like watching Tom Cruise work the computer in Minority Report.

We returned to the hostel, which had become twice as packed as before. It was already impossible to sleep there, but with all the new people, sleep became some sort of foreign concept.

No comments: